Sunday, March 30, 2008

beth moore - part 2

Have you ever been to a conference or a church service and you feel like the speaker has prepared what they are saying because they know what is going on in your life and it's meant for you? That's what happened this weekend.

Beth started off by referring to Matthew 20 when the 2 blind men are crying out to Jesus "Son of David, have mercy on me!" and Jesus asked, "What do you want me to do for you?" (see blog from 2/29 for the irony in this). Then she had us all write down in our listening guides what we want Jesus to do for us during the conference. I wrote something like: Jesus I need vision for my life. I need to know what you want me to do.
Unbeknownst (that is a real word isn't is?) to me the entire weekend was focused on the passage Philippians 3 and taking hold of the things we've been set apart for.

12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

She gave us a timeline starting with birth with a straight line until salvation. Then a dotted line on an upward slant with the end being death. She said that each dash on the line represents something we've been set apart for since birth, a part of our destiny. And the space between the dashes are times when we receive the next revelation, encounters with Jesus that alter the direction of our lives. (I can see this so clearly in my life...9:30, challenge leadership, teaching, being single, summer intern in California, Romania, coming home from Romania; almost all of them came with a clear revelation from God, and I'm sure other things have too). It was so encouraging to see that revelation is scriptural because that's what I've been needing!

There was so much truth packed in to this weekend (the image that keeps coming to my mind is a really big burrito) that I can't even begin to explain it all. If you know Beth Moore, you know she explained some if it according to the Greek. She talked about the obstacles we have to push through to in order to take hold of what Christ has for us. Her last session was about what it will be like when we do cross the finish line. Fullness of joy.

2 comments:

Joyfull said...

Hi, I found your blog from Beth Moore's comments. I was also at the Jacksonville event and was touched and blessed. You summed up so much of what she said beautifully. I'm reading and just nodding and nodding my head! Just wanted to come by and say HI!

Brie said...

Wow Angela! I learn so much spiritually (vicariously through you) when I read your blogs! And, this morning Mali and I read Matthew 20 as our devotional! Thanks for sharing!